An Extension of The Time To File Your Tax Return Is NOT An Extension of The Time To Pay Your Income Taxes!

March 28th, 2022

The exclusive purpose for the information which is provided from this website is to disseminate information, and not to provide tax advice. 

This is the time of year in which it’s almost time to “pony up” those unpaid income taxes for last year.  There could also be valid reasons in which you are not ready to file your tax returns – missing tax return information (still do not have your last W-2s, 1099-R or Schedule K- 1 s, etc.), the large amounts of funds that you need are not yet available, or your tax preparer has not met with you to review your tax returns).  There are also other reasons.  However, while the Tax Code does permit you to request a six-month extension of the time to file your tax returns, it does NOT allow for you to request or delay the “time to pay” your total prior year taxes after the statutory deadline.

Well, what other options are available to you?

a.  Borrow the funds from your business, friends, or relatives

b.  Use your credit card

c.   Obtain a short-term loan from your bank or financial institution

d.  Submit a request to the Internal Revenue Service to participate in an “Installment Agreement” [Form 9465 – Form 9465 (Rev. September 2020) ( ]-Submit this completed form with your tax return.

To avoid having to pay late payment fees and penalties, you can also review the IRS “Safe Harbor Rules”

#1 –Actual 2021 Federal tax liability is within $1,000.00 of your total 2021 tax  deposits for combined withheld taxes and estimated tax deposits, or;

#2 – You have already deposited a total of 110% of your 2020 tax liability  or;

#3 –You pay 90% of your 2021 Federal tax liability on or before April 18th.

Issue Number: Tax Tip 2022-47

IRS reminds taxpayers an extension to file is not an extension to pay taxes

For most individual taxpayers the tax filing and payment deadline is Monday, April 18, 2022. Those who need more time to file can request an extension to file. Taxpayers must request an extension to file by April 18, or they may face a failure to file penalty. This extension gives them until October 17 to file their tax return. An extension to file is not an extension to pay.

Most taxpayers must pay taxes by April 18 to avoid penalties and interest on the amount owed after that date. Taxpayers in Maine and Massachusetts have until April 19 to pay to file their returns due to the Patriots’ Day holiday in those states.

How to request an extension to file
To get an extension to file, the IRS urges taxpayers to do one of the following:

  • File Form 4868 through their tax professional, tax software or by using IRS Free File on Individual taxpayers, regardless of income, can use Free File to electronically request an automatic tax-filing extension.

Some taxpayers may have extra time to file their tax returns and pay any taxes due. This includes some disaster victims, taxpayers living overseas, including members of the military, and eligible support personnel serving in combat zones.
More information:
What Is the Due Date of My Federal Tax Return or Am I Eligible to Request an Extension?

Posted by Bill Seabrooke